With the exception of August and the beginning of an academic year, the month of May is easily my favorite time in Morgantown. It is a time of both appreciation and celebration, as our graduating students close the last chapter of their current academic journey and begin a new one as WVU alumni.
At Commencement next week, we will welcome thousands of graduating students in the Class of 2022 into our alumni community. It is a time for many to reflect on years of dedicated work and special memories. Memories that forever bond them with their alma mater. For parents, family members, and supporters, many of whom are also WVU graduates, it's an opportunity to share in the pride of this momentous occasion. On a personal note, I'm excited to be joining many of you at the weekend's ceremonies, as my family gathers to celebrate my son's graduation.
For so many, attending WVU is a family tradition. I share in that tradition. I followed my father to WVU in the early 1990’s and am quite proud that my son also chose to attend and will earn his Master’s in Business Administration next Saturday. I’m excited to watch from a distance moving forward as he relocates for a job in his field and continues his life’s journey. As he leaves home and embarks on his post-graduation life, I’m confident that his WVU education has provided the resources for future success. I’m equally confident in the relationships he has built while on campus and the positive impact they will continue to have personally and professionally. I am also eager for him to experience, first hand, the nurturing alumni community that awaits him as a graduate.
As Commencement quickly approaches, I encourage our graduates to take advantage of several activities and resources that are available. Here's a few to consider next week and beyond:
- Free grad pictures in Woodburn Circle: On May 11th from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m., get a free photo in your WVU graduation cap and gown, WVU licensed gear or professional attire. Sign up here: Woodburn Graduation Photos | Social | West Virginia University
- Update your contact information: As you prepare for your next steps, be sure to update your contact information - it only takes 5 minutes! https://www.connecttowvu.com/
- Find Your Chapter: With more than 70 chapters around the country, there are Mountaineers ready to welcome you to your newest community after graduation. Take a look at the full list here: www.alumni.wvu.edu/chapters
- Join WVU Connect: This professional networking community is exclusively designed for WVU students and alumni. Get in touch with alumni that currently live in the city you're moving to or connect with established professionals in your field! Sign up at wvuconnect.com
- Enjoy a WVU alumni membership for free: To celebrate this exceptional achievement, the WVU Alumni Association is gifting the entire Class of 2022 with a free Annual Membership. Be sure to take advantage of all of the benefits! Learn more here: Member Benefits
Whether you're embarking on your career or continuing your studies in graduate school, I hope that you'll take at least a moment in the next few weeks to enjoy your accomplishment, thank those that have impact your journey, reflect on your time at WVU, and find ways to stay meaningfully connected with friends and our alma mater.
On behalf of all of us at the WVU Alumni Association, congratulations on your graduation and welcome to the alumni family.
Kevin Berry ('94, '95)
WVU Vice President of Alumni Relations
CEO of the WVU Alumni Association, Inc.