We aim to create connection and community for people who love WVU, with equity and inclusion for everyone. We also recognize that we need to do a better job of being inclusive. Therefore, our leadership has decided to take immediate action so that we can serve everyone wholeheartedly and create “One WVU” for all.
The WVU Alumni Association Board of Directors is taking the following actions:
- Creating a dedicated Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee to provide thought leadership and recommendations to the Board in order to better promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our programming and initiatives; to better promote the same in Board, committee, organization and chapter membership, including recruitment; to review bylaws and award criteria to ensure inclusivity and equity; and to provide and/or coordinate diversity, equity, and inclusion training for the Board and the organization on an ongoing basis.
- Committing and requiring that the Board of Directors will undergo diversity and inclusion training annually in order to more fully live into this statement.
- Conducting annual surveys for inclusive alumni feedback that includes equity and engagement.
- Changing our bylaws to require, at minimum, that the Board of Directors shall always include at least one Black alumni member, at least one member from underrepresented alumni groups and at least one recent diverse graduate.
- Adding the Vice President for the WVU Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to the Board as an ex-officio member.
- Inviting the President of the Black Alumni interest group to serve on the newly created Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee as a permanent member.
- Working to expand identity-based interest groups to connect alumni with the university and with each other; these interest groups will also provide feedback and input on our engagement efforts.
- Providing networking and programming opportunities that invite alumni of color to connect in an environment conducive to discussing their specific concerns.
- Increasing diverse representation within alumni chapters and interest groups by actively recruiting alumni of color to explore and consider volunteer leadership roles.
- Supporting the inclusive programs and activities of our campus partners by sponsoring and/or participating in annual events, helping to connect current students to WVUAA’s programs and opportunities.
Signed by all members of the WVU Alumni Association Board of Directors