We aim to create connection and community for people who love WVU, with equity and
inclusion for everyone. We also recognize that we need to do a better job of being
inclusive. Therefore, our leadership has decided to take immediate action so that
we can serve everyone wholeheartedly and create “One WVU” for all.
The WVU Alumni Association Board of Directors is taking the following actions:
- Creating a dedicated Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee to provide thought
leadership and recommendations to the Board in order to better promote diversity,
equity, and inclusion in our programming and initiatives; to better promote the
same in Board, committee, organization and chapter membership, including recruitment;
to review bylaws and award criteria to ensure inclusivity and equity; and to
provide and/or coordinate diversity, equity, and inclusion training for the Board
and the organization on an ongoing basis.
- Committing and requiring that the Board of Directors will undergo diversity and
inclusion training annually in order to more fully live into this statement.
- Conducting annual surveys for inclusive alumni feedback that includes equity and engagement.
- Changing our bylaws to require, at minimum, that the Board of Directors shall always
include at least one Black alumni member, at least one member from underrepresented
alumni groups and at least one recent diverse graduate.
- Adding the Vice President for the WVU Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
to the Board as an ex-officio member.
- Inviting the President of the Black Alumni interest group to serve on the newly
created Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee as a permanent member.
- Working to expand identity-based interest groups to connect alumni with the university
and with each other; these interest groups will also provide feedback and input
on our engagement efforts.
- Providing networking and programming opportunities that invite alumni of color
to connect in an environment conducive to discussing their specific concerns.
- Increasing diverse representation within alumni chapters and interest groups by
actively recruiting alumni of color to explore and consider volunteer leadership
- Supporting the inclusive programs and activities of our campus partners by sponsoring
and/or participating in annual events, helping to connect current students to
WVUAA’s programs and opportunities.
Signed by all members of the
WVU Alumni Association Board of Directors